Molasses Soy Chicken Stir Fry with Green Tea Brown Rice

This was another of those mornings that I pulled random ingredients together to make a marinade for a stir fry.
With wonderful results.
A great dinner with leftovers for lunch the next day.
Molasses Soy Chicken Stir Fry with Green Tea Brown Rice
(Printable Recipe)
Marinade
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp red wine
1 lb chicken
Rice
1 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1-1/2 cup prepared fragrant tea (we used green tea)
Stir Fry
1/2 sweet red onion, finely diced
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
1 bell pepper roughly chopped
1 package frozen stir fry veggies
olive oil
soy sauce
In the morning (or the night before), partially thaw chicken in microwave (enough to get out of the package and drain any excess “chicken water”), and slice into 1/2″ strips. Whisk molasses, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and red wine together in a bowl. Place chicken in marinade and let sit, thawing the rest of the way, all day.
In the evening, boil water for the tea and prepare the rice.
Pour olive oil to cover the bottom of pan and saute onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Discard original marinade from chicken and add chicken to the pan. Toss until chicken is cooked most the way through.
Add frozen stir fry veggies, and a splash of soy sauce. Once veggies are thawed, toss in the fresh veggies and saute till slightly softened.

Serve over rice.
Please check out Fit Foodista‘s Blog Carnival, as this post can be found there!

This recipe is also linked to:
H‘nSgirlichef
EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. Melynda says:

Molasses in a stir fry sounds good! I think the idea of tea flavored water for the rice is interesting, thanks so much! Always something to learn here.

2. fabulous dish, looks so delicious with that molasses in there~

3. Thanks so much! I’d done different broths in the rice before, but I’d never used tea. I thank Lindsey @ FRESH FOOD + FRESH AIR for the inspiration! I urge you to check out her blog @ http://www.lindseyevenson.com

4. Christy says:

Erin,
    We love stir fry – I don’t make it often enough. I love the idea of giving the rice flavor with tea! I will be trying this soon! thanks for sharing this with us at the hearth and soul hop!

5. This is so creative, love it! What a great idea to use deep dark molasses for a hit of sweetness, and tea in the rice. I keep meaning to try more cooking with tea, but I never get around to it. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

6. MMMMMM – molasses! I love it! I don’t think I’ve ever seen it used this way; but it makes perfect sense. I’ll be it adds sweetness and it’s intense flavor would stand up to the vinegar. Yum!

ps…I laughed out loud…chicken water. It’s so gross and so appropriate:)

7. @ Christy & @ Butter Powered Bike, thanks! I love Hearth ‘n Soul and the recipes you draw in! I plan to join every week I possibly can!

@ Michele, thanks! I’m low on ingredients and had a light bulb moment! And, I wasn’t sure how else to describe the “juice” that happens when you thaw chicken. Glad you liked it 🙂

8. Christy says:

i have never, never thought of cooking my rice with tea..what a great way to infuse interesting flavors into a dish. the whole meal is gorgeous….and i can’t wait to try it.thank you for linking up to tuesday night supper club

9. wacki04 says:

I’ve never thought of cooking my rice with tea either! Thanks for stopping by What’s Cooking Wednesday! See you next week 🙂

10. Karen says:

I saw molasses soy and I was sold. What a great stir-fry! I really like the marinade ingredients…very creative. A stir-fry is such a satisfying meal!

11. Dimah says:

That looks like a really delicious meal!

12. I never considered making rice with tea! How unique!

Thanks for linking up to What’s Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week!

Diane

13. girlichef says:

This sounds like the perfect lunch…absolutely mouthwatering flavors! Thanks for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week 🙂

14. Val says:

I’am so hungry after looking through your fabulous blog!!!

15. Hi Erin, It is great to see you on the hearth and soul hop this week. I am now following your blog. I really adore stir fries, but dont make them as often as I should. I simply forget! Thanks for reminding me. I also love how you made the rice with some tea! My mother often made rice with jasmin tea for my father who grew up in china and loved it! Thanks again for sharing with the hearth and soul hop. All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

16. I wanted to thank you again for sharing your kitchen adventures with the Hearth and Soul Hop. I enjoyed your recipe so much that I’ll be featuring it among my Best of the Blog Hop this week.

17. Shu Han says:

here’s another stifry chicken using molasses, but with dried chilli and basil! it’s a traditional chi recipe that I really like (: i’m chinese and i love a good stirfry (: there are some tips to get the bouncy texure you find in chi restaurants!