Potato Apple Cheddar Soup & Friday Potluck

Tomorrow is Friday! You know what that means!! Potluck time!!

I’ve been seeing all sorts of incredible soups and fall recipes in the blogosphere and have decided it’s my time to make soups. Now that it’s getting chilly at night (and in preparation for Alaska), ’tis the season for soup. MMMMMMMM.
I actually wanted to make a crock pot potato cheddar soup, in part because my lovely friend Shaye has requested crock pot recipes, but I didn’t plan ahead, and ran out of time to do a crock pot recipe. Internet search, here we come!
I found a fantastic recipe on All Recipes for Potato and Cheddar Soup, and decided to try my hand… and my own substitutions and additions. So if you want to make the original recipe, which includes ham, please click the link above. If you want a vegetarian soup, or just want to see how I changed that recipe, read on!
My version was tasty before it had blended and the apple flavor really was able to come through, so you can imagine how amazing the flavors were after it finished thickening!
Potato Apple Cheddar Soup
3 cups water
2.5 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon onion powder
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 granny smith apple cubed
Boil the water and add the potatoes. Cook until soft. Drain, reserving a cup of liquid. Add butter, onion powder, flour, salt and pepper. Mix together well. Add milk, sugar, cheese, celery salt and apple. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in additional flour as needed to thicken to desired thickness.
If needed, use an immersion blender or a hand mixer to puree the remaining potato and apple cubes. Serve, garnish with a whole wheat bread. Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!!
In addition to my own Friday Potluck, I’m linking this post to
EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. Oh Yum! I’m sitting at Borders doing some writing…no kids and no hubby tonight. This is making me hungry enough to consider going home and putting something in my belly other than coffee!

2. Michele, I already commented on your blog this morning, so I’m leaving you some more comment love on mine! I absolutely love your “smash” potatoes. If I don’t talk myself into going to Olive Garden tonight, I will be making those!! 🙂

3. Oh yes! I just made an apple soup too! I’ll have to make sure to link it up tomorrow!

4. ☺lani☺ says:

I love it the way you did your soup. Perfect to the weather today, it’s raining here today. Thanks for dropping by, almost weekend… have one!

5. Dear Erin,

Thanks for visiting me at Create With Joy and letting me know about your meme! I just added my recipe and will add the link-up to my blog post shortly. I have also added it to my master list of links so that I will have it available for future link-ups!

I’m working on redesigning some elements of my blog in the background and hope to have all of this added to my blog sometime soon so I don’t have to manually do this each week! 🙂

In the meantime, I have signed up to follow you and look forward to exploring your site. I’d love it if you decided to join me over at Create With Joy as well!

Your recipe sounds delicious – just the type of soup I would love – can’t wait til it gets cool enough here to try it out!

Have a wonderful day!

Ramona

6. I love soup season too and your recipe sounds delicious! I had never seen potato soup with apple before – what a great combo.

7. @ Lani – thanks so much for sharing – this looks delish!
    @ Ramona – thanks for following and joining in the potluck (I’m your newest follower now); I look forward to your entries each week!
    @ Savoring – I love adding apples to soups, it adds a unique flavor and texture!

8. Haden News says:

Your soup sounds delicious…we love soup at my house, I will have to put this on this list to make!!

9. Vanessa says:

Hey! Soup! Perfect! Thanks so much for linking this up to the party Erin and I’m going to join your potluck with my recipe from last week! 🙂
    Vanessa

10. This sounds delicious! I just saved it to try!

11. Clarissa says:

Looks yummy!Thanks for the recipe^_^

12. Melodie says:

Your soup looks and sounds delicious. I love your presentation too. I really want to make this this week. Fingers crossed that I can make it happen!

13. Jacqueline says:

What a fabulous flavor combination. I want to try this one soon.

14. Nathalie says:

I promise to try it real soon!

Thank you very much for sharing this recipe.

15. Cheerful says:

hi there, looks so delicious and easy to do for someone like me who’s just starting to explore the four corner of our kitchen! will definitely try this one! thanks for sharing and happy friday! 🙂

16. Luna Miranda says:

i love soups! this one sounds delicious!

17. girlichef says:

Oh, I love the sound of your soup…one of my perennial favorite meals =) I brought some pasta this week…thanks for hosting!

I love making soups in the fall. I don’t mix fruits with savory foods often, but apples really work in savory dishes. It looks yummy!! I would love to take this to my next girls night out. I think it would be a big hit!

19. yen says:

that’s easy, hapi ftf

20. Karen says:

I love creamy soup…this looks so tasty! I’ve never put apple in a soup. I’ll have to remember this one. I’m always on the look out for chicken broth-less vegetarian ideas for family members who don’t eat it. Great idea!

21. Kristen says:

The apple is a nice addition to that soup. It sounds perfect for a cool autumn day.

22. Vanessa says:

Hey Erin! I’m all linked up and thanks for hosting a great party!
    Vanessa

23. Bonnie says:

We love soups at our house. This one looks terrific.

24. Carolyn says:

It’s just perfect weather here for your soup…cold, rainy, windy. Wish I could have a bowl right now!

25. Lovely flavor combinations…Potato soup is a favorite 🙂

26. Lisa says:

I just love potato soup on a cold winter’s day. It never fails to warm me up inside and out.

27. Patricia says:

Thanks for your comments, Your Potato Apple Cheddar Soup sounds wonderful and I think I will give it a try on our next cold night here in North Carolina. I love crockpot recipes, I work 12 hour shifts and I use my crockpot alot, in fact I have 2 that I use. I look forward to reading your blog and your recipes. Have a great weekend. Patricia

28. This is a soup I have to try!! We are cooling off here in Oregon and it will be soup dinner weather verrrrry soon. Love potato soup and I love the cheese addition. Who would think, an apple? Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

29. lulumusing says:

Adding the apple gives a different twist to potato soup. I will add this to my list of things to try.

30. My Mom has a delicious recipe for cheddar soup but this one sounds really yummy, too!
    Have a fabulous day!
    Julie

31. Joanne says:

I just ate dinner but know you really do have me craving a thick creamy soup! Torture! 😛

32. The potato soup looks so yummy!

33. Lynn says:

Yum, what a great idea to add apple to this soup. Sounds delicious!

34. Dimah says:

This looks and sounds lovely!

35. This is indeed perfect for our cold weather!!! I can eat at least two servings!!!

Welcome and Thanks for joining us at Food Trip Friday

36. bonz says:

that looks so tasty.
    better bookmark your recipe for future reference.
    thanks a lot! 😉

37. Jerri says:

Oh how delicious! Pass me a bowl! =)

Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

38. Jerri says:

Came back to let you know that I’m featuring you this week! Come by and grab my featured button if you’d like one!

39. Thanks for linking at Make a Food-“e”-Friend Monday #2: Most Popular Recipes from the Food Blogosphere
    ! This does sound yummy… will definitely have to try it. Save that other one you were thinking about linking for next week! 🙂

40. Miriam says:

I don’t know why I havn’t thought to put apples in potato/cheese soup before. Great idea! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters