Butternut Squash Soup

Today, we journeyed 6 blocks to the farmer’s market. Lots of great fall fruits and veggies. Squash was $1/each!! So we have 9 or 10 butternut, spaghetti and acorn squashes crying to be eaten, a basketful of yellow zucchini, and a lovely squash that I believe is called speckled head. The farmer told us all about the squash, its origins and its flavor, and we can’t wait to make some pies with it!
He also gave us a fantastic recipe for Butternut Squash Soup, which I have completely and utterly fallen in love with. The flavors are amazing and there’s just enough kick from the cayenne pepper to liven it up. Next time I might use a little less cream cheese, but it is so tasty anyway! A definite keeper and a big shout out and thank you to our new friends at Hanagan Farms.  I was so excited to eat this that I completely forgot to take photos of the process. So rather than just sharing my lovely photos of the squash peel, I will be sharing photos of the fantastic final dish!
Butternut Squash Soup (courtesy of Hanagan Farms)
1/4 cup chopped onion (about half an onion)
2 tablespoons & 2 teaspoons margarine (we used unsalted better)
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about half a squash)
2 cups water
2-3/4 cubes bouillon (or 2-3/4 tsp bouillon powder)
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram (we used 1/8 tsp oregano)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1-1/3 8-ounce packages fat free cream cheese (next time I would use just one package)
In a large saucepan, saute onions in the butter until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram (oregano), black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes, until squash is tender.
Puree the squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan and heat through, but do not allow to boil.
Enjoy!
This post is linked up to DebinHawaii’s Kahakai Kitchen and her fantastic Souper Sundays! Please check out her blog along with those of all the other participants.

I’m also linking this to Potluck Sunday @ Mommy’s Kitchen, Saturday Party @ Recipes of a Cheapskate, and My Meatless Mondays @ My Sweet & Savory

EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. Krystal says:

This just screams out fall to me. I love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Saturday’s Party, and I can’t wait to starting playing along with your Friday Potluck. 🙂

-Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

2. Kirby says:

Ya know I have never had butternut squash so I think it about dang time I did! And I will start with this recipe, sounds really, really good!
    Thanks for becoming a follower and stopping by! Have a wonderful Sunday!

3. This looks so yummy, it’s cold here today, and that would be great.

4. I love butternut squash soup! I just made a stew with butternut squash tonight! Thanks!

5. Debinhawaii says:

Squash soup is the perfect fall dish–like a big warm hug. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays this week! 😉

6. Shannon says:

Hi Erin! This looks gooood! Love the addition of cayenne pepper.

7. Melynda says:

Love butternut squash, this looks tasty. Thanks.

8. That looks really yummy.Can you believe tha I have never tasted butternut squash!! gotta make this one:)

9. Joanne says:

If I found squash that was a dollar each…man I would buy like 20 of them! Love the sound of this soup. Creamy and delicious.

10. Erin, I made butternut squash soup, last night but now, I have to make it again, adding the cream cheese and heat. What a grand idea.

I love the squash season.

Thanks for linking this to MMM

11. What a lovely soup…and how sweet of your new friend to add a recipe to your shopping delights 🙂

12. Erin, you sure have some wonderful recipes. I just wanted to let you know I picked up everything I needed that I didn’t have on hand to make the potato cheese soup. I’ll make it sometime this week and I’m so looking forward to it. Wish me luck! 🙂

13. Me again. I wondered why your blog/recipes were not coming up in my dashboard. I could have swore I was following you but your blog wasn’t on my list. That’s twice in the last two weeks that has happened to me 🙁 and I’m wondering if I have a hiccup to deal with….so I signed on again 🙂

14. Zoe says:

A nice and hearty soup. Just the recipe that I would need for cooler nights.

15. Dimah says:

what a great recipe!That sounds good!

16. Looks good! I’m always looking for new soup recipes and this one sounds great!

17. Julie says:

This will be my first winter cooking fresh, healthy meals with real live veggies other than the old standby potatoes & carrots. Thanks for a great recipe I can’t wait to try out! 🙂

18. Emily Z says:

I love soups like this this time of year when it’s getting chilly out. Yours looks fantastic! Thanks for stopping by my blog, it is nice to meet you!

19. Thank you so much for your comments!! I haven’t had the chance just yet to respond to you each individually, but know that I really appreciate your thoughts!

20. Karen says:

This looks yummy…I love the creaminess. I’ve never used cream cheese in a soup…good to know. It’s definitely soup season!

21. Teresa says:

This recipe has a definite place on my brunch menu. It looks amazing!

22. Beth says:

This looks delicious. What a perfect fall soup!