Slow Cooker Pot Roast Stew & Friday Potluck #6

I love pot roast. I didn’t know that I loved it until last year when I had some in an au jus gravy at a friend’s house. Yummy pot roast! My friend Heather taught me just how easy it can be to cook pot roast, and she also gave me an undying love for slow cookers.
I’ve since tried a few different recipes for a slow cooker pot roast stew, and this is the latest, and greatest. Though I’m not a big fan of using pre-made sauce packets because of the extra salts and preservatives, I do need to use up what I have, and they make it so gosh-darn easy.
So after a long day at work and delivering dinner to K who was working a 24-hour shift, I got home exhausted at 9:30 and realized I STILL had to get the roast ready for cooking the next day. Fortunately, I’d remembered to take the roast from the freezer the evening prior and it was all thawed. About 15 minutes later I was in bed and well on my way to snoozing.
Have I mentioned that I LOVE my slow cooker. Thank you to K’s mom, she’s a really awesome mother-in-law (are you reading, K’s Mom?) who gave me the slow cooker for Christmas last year. It’s from Hamilton Beach and has not one, not two, but three bowls of different sizes to choose from.
I know you’re itching to see all the yummy ingredients in this recipe, so without further ado, I give you (in a deep announcer voice)

SLOW COOKER POT ROAST!
(with veggies and a red wine beef broth)
1 McCormick Seasoning slow cooker pot roast packet with the amount of water it calls for
32 oz low-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup red wine (or more if you like)
3 large carrots, sliced
6-8 small red potatoes, cubed
3 large celery stalks, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons gumbo file’ powder (a very random, hmmm, this will be good, last minute addition)
1 4lb roast, with as much fat trimmed as possible
Place liquids and spices in a 6 quart slow cooker. Mix together well. Add the roast, followed by the veggies, so that the veggies are stacked around the roast. The roast and veggies should be mostly covered by the liquids. If not, add more liquid of your choosing; I will almost always choose wine because I like it a lot it adds such great flavor to the red meat.Β
Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8-9 hours (or on high for 4-5). If like me, you set the slow cooker in the morning before you leave work and get home more than 9 hours later, that’s fine. The longer the meat cooks and simmers in the broth, the more tender it will be. Meat should fall apart easily.
Serve in bowls so that each bowl receives a few chunks of meat and lots of broth and veggies. I completely forgot to make biscuits and K and I were starving so we used some partially stale kaiser rolls, which totally did the trick. BUT, I recommend making fresh biscuits to serve with and soak up the broth, as they seem to really enhance the flavor.
Enjoy!
Also, as it’s already almost Friday again, so you know what that means!
Friday Potluck

grab the code!
The rules are so simple, it’s almost like there are no rules —
  1. Your blog post must be published before you link up; and you must link to that post (not your general blog address).
  2. In your post, use either a link or the code above to link up to Friday Potluck.
  3. Have fun! Check out some of your fellow potluckers’ entries; maybe you’ll find some new inspiration or make a new friend or two!
And, finally, please drop me a comment to let me know that you’ve posted, and tell me what you think!
I’m also linking this up to the following blog parties
The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Exchange @ The Grocery Cart Challenge, Foodie Friday @ Designs By Gollum, Inspiration Friday @ Southern In My Heart, Friday Favorites @ Simply Sweet Home, Family Food Fridays @ Get Healthy Cheap, Food Trip Friday, Family Friendly Friday @ Mommie Cooks

This linky list is now closed.

EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. Β© 2010-2011

1. I am a huge fan of crockpot recipes love them! this sounds fabulous!

2. I had a crock pot years ago, and I always loved to do roasts in it. This pork roast sounds delicious. I love the addition of gumbo file’ to it.

Happy Foodie Friday…

XO,

Sheila πŸ™‚

3. Bonnie says:

I love pot roast and justt picked a roast up at the marke to make for tomorrow. I will now be changing my recipe. Thanks for the great post.

4. Cheerful says:

it will be lovely to try this recipe…thanks! oh, i joined again this week, enjoy my singaporean foods…happy friday! πŸ™‚

5. Christy says:

I didn’t realize you had a linky party – I am linking my cheesy shortbread – its the best I can do to bring it to you!!

6. Alea says:

Your post roast sounds wonderful I love your impulse add in; sometimes those end up being the “magic ingredient”.

7. For sure it’s slow cooker season! I love roasts! Thanks!

8. Vanessa says:

Thanks so much for linking this up Erin! I have yet to get my slow cooker out this fall but this is just the motivation I need! πŸ™‚
    Vanessa

9. Melodie says:

Thanks for hosting! I can’t say I like stews but I do wish I had a slow cooker!

10. Luna Miranda says:

I should get one for my mom, too! She loves to cook stews, a slow-cooker would make her happy.:p

11. Yum, love the way you presented it! I couldn’t post to Mr. Linky, had error lots of time. Happy Friday!

12. I’m always looking for Crock-Pot recipes because they are so easy to make during the work week! Thanks for sharing.

13. Brenda says:

Good morning Erin! I love pot roast but I love it even more in the crock pot. Great recipe! Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

14. I love the sound of your slow cooker stew, especially with the red wine! I’ve linked up my Aunt Dorothy’s Butterscotch Squares which would make a delicious dessert after your yummy stew! This is my first Friday Potluck – I’ve come via Christy’s site, Frugality and Crunchiness with Christy. Thank you for hosting and have a lovely weekend!

15. Perfect recipe for a chilly fall day – thanks Erin! My guys would love this!

16. girlichef says:

I’ll admit it…I’m a pot roast kinda girl…’specially in the cooler months. This sounds delicious.

17. Kirby says:

I totally dig a good pot roast, yours sounds fab! Thanks for hosting!!!

18. Lyndsey says:

I don’t use my crockpot as much as I should. i always forget to get everything together in time to use it. Good to know about the season packet!

19. Dimah says:

This looks absolutely fantastic! What a delicious combination.

20. My first time here by way of Frugal Follies. I am loving some of your soup recipes – especially the potato soup. I love potato soup and your version sounds really good. Thanks for hosting. I am linking up with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans.

21. Erin… this looks soooooo good! I totally can’t wait to give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing and for hosting πŸ™‚

22. e-Mom says:

Anything in a Crockpot suits me just fine! Thanks for hosting your linky party Erin.

23. Thanks for joining us once again and you are right about Pot Roast, either Chicken, Beef or Pork, you can’t go wrong with it. πŸ™‚

24. Karen says:

This sounds like the perfect pot roast. Yummy confort food, and so easy! I like red wine with the beef broth, too.

25. mumsified says:

I don’t have slow cooker but I might just get one =) Thanks for sharing your recipe

I love pot roast too! Yum!

27. I doubt, I will get here on Fridays but I will put you on my schedule for Saturdy nights, so I don’t forget. Friday is just too busy, for me, personally.

I love all ther recipes you are getting. Keep up the good work.

28. Lisa says:

This sounds like comfort food at its best.

29. Matilda says:

Love it! Linked up a non-disastrous recipe this time πŸ˜‰