Name That Squash!

Hello to my wonderful blogland friends.
I need your help today!!
We purchased this lovely squash from our Farmer’s Market, but never got the name! I’m planning to turn it into pies and then post about it, but I hate to post with “Mystery Squash Pie” as the title. It just doesn’t have the right ring to it…
That is where YOU come in.
No lovely prizes for helping me figure out what this squash is, but I AM planning a giveaway next week from CSN! So stay tuned for Monday’s post!
Clues from our friendly farmer:
1. This is a New England variety.
2. It has a similar taste to butternut, but is slightly sweeter.
3. It is NOT a pumpkin.
4. It’s kind of speckled and a pale orange-y color.
That’s all I’ve got!
Let me know what you think it might be. Also feel free to venture a guess at how many pies this puppy will make.
Having NEVER made pumpkin pie before, I have no clue… nor do I have any idea how this experiment will turn out.
It’s all a mystery (cue spooky music)!SO…. NAME THAT SQUASH!
and receive my eternal gratitude 🙂

EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. nico. says:

it looks like a blue kuri. I used red kuri last week and this looks like the blue kuris that were sitting next to them.

2. Carnival Squash? I’ve never cooked with it but I have heard it is butternutish.

3. I am as lost if not more than u!!
    Am looking forward my self to what this is ,as muc as the CSN giveawy too!!

4. Let me know if you’ve found out by this weekend. If not I know a good person to ask to help you out! (She doesn’t have the internet so I’ll have to put the picture on my phone or something and take it to her)

5. Mimi says:

I don’t have a clue, but growing up unidentified orange flesh squashes were simply called winter squash.
    Mimi

6. Carolyn says:

I swear I saw a squash just like this the other day somewhere and now I can’t remember what it was called! Ack! It was an interesting name, but that’s all I can remember about it. Sorry, I am no help to you.

7. Alisa says:

Im curious…is it a carnival squash? I know it tastes a little like butternut squash. http://www.foodista.com/food/WBZVTYFY/carnival-squash

8. ceodraiocht says:

Lucky for you I’m an avid heirloom gardener (well without a garden at the moment since my move, but I digress). Here’s your squash:

Baker’s Creek seed is the BEST place for anyone wanting to grow their own.

Maggie

9. ceodraiocht says:

Should have added, since you haven’t done pie from squash before, that I used to grow and put up various winter squashes and pumpkins. Easiest way to cook is slice in half and place cut side down on cookie sheet. When you’re done and it’s cool, scrap then mash the squash then spread in a foil lined or buttered cookie pan and bake about 15 minutes – this will make sure you don’t end up with a “watery” pie. Not all pumpkins/squashes are great for baking but if you use the cookie sheet method and let the color deepen, it’s fantastic. Saw on a Martha show (she did it with canned pumpkin to deepen teh flavor).

10. Claudia says:

I’ve gotten that one a few time, they are growing here and called Buttercup Squash, though not the scientific name. So good, I saved seeds and will be planting some.