Pumpkin Pie & Crust (low sodium)

Many of you know that this blog started out as a way to keep track of lots of great healthy and low-sodium recipes. It’s transformed into my journey with real food, and cooking with fresh and whole ingredients as opposed to packaged foods. It doesn’t always happen that way, but I try my best.
This year, since we brined our turkey, though not much sodium transferred into the turkey (at least I don’t think it did), I wanted to make K’s favorite — pumpkin pie — from scratch, and healthy if possible.
Success!
Imagine my excitement when pouring over Dick Logue’s cookbook 500 Low Sodium Recipes: Lose the Salt Not the Flavor in Meals the Whole Family Will Love, I found recipes for both pie crust AND pumpkin pie filing.
He’s got some awesome recipes in here and I urge you to check them out, including recipes for low sodium onion soup mix, chilis, soups and so many (500 to be sure) more!
I learned an important lesson — wax paper and parchment paper are not the same, nor are they created equal. Be sure to have wax paper on hand for a successful crust! 🙂 With so much going on last Thursday, I completely forgot to take pictures of all of the yummies I was making!
Also, I would like to share that I was able to use my new KitchenAid food processor for the pie filling, along with almost every single one of my Thanksgiving recipes! 🙂
Dick Logue’s Pumpkin Pie and Crust
Crust
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp water, cold
Add oil to flour and mix well with fork. Sprinkle water over and mix well. With hands press into ball and flatten. Roll between two pieces of waxed paper. Remove top waxed paper, invert over pan, and remove other paper. Press into place. (If not adding a baked filling, bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned — 12 to 15 minutes.)
Pumpkin Pie Filling
1-1/4 cups pumpkin, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine pumpkin, sugar, spices, and flour in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and mix well. Add milk, water, and vanilla. Mix. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Allow to cool. SERVE!!
I’m linking this post to
EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. Karen says:

Mmmm…homemade pumpkin pie. And healthier at that! Looks really yummy. Hope your Thanksgiving was great…sounds like the food was!

2. I am eating pumpkin pie right now its my favorite! nice pictures!

3. Marea Davis says:

That is one deliciously hearty looking pumpkin pie! I love the rich dark color. Mmm now I want some pumpkin!

<3Marea @www.TheFoodieFixx.blogspot.com

4. Trine Bean says:

My own pumpkin pie route did not go so healthy. You are much stronger than I am =)

5. Zoe says:

I like your healthier version of pumpkin pie. I’m keen to try making pie crust with oil too seeing your pie turn out to be perfect.

6. Lisa says:

I love how you make things healthier, especially a traditional favorite like pumpkin pie. I also learned the hard way that wax paper and parchment paper are not the same when I tried to bake cookies on them and found that they stuck.

7. Paula says:

what a delicious blog! here is so many inspirations!

have a nice time,
    Paula

8. Sounds delicious! I love pumpkin pie and it’s nice to have a healthier version 🙂

Your Pumpkin Pie looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week.

10. Christy says:

It is hard to eat 100% healthy on Thanksgiving – thanks for sharing this pie with the hearth and soul hop! (I am a bit envious of your kitchenaid)

11. Emily Z says:

My blog has ended up taking a different direction than I intended as well. It’s been an even more amazing adventure than I ever thought it would be! Your pumpkin pie looks wonderful!

12. Katie says:

love this. looks delicious! i hope you had a fabulous thanksgiving holiday. You have a blog award from me… pick it up at http://www.wonderland-kitchen.blogspot.com copy the blog award picture and post to your side bar. and be sure and pass it on! love, katie thank you again for doing such a wonderful guest post on my blog.

13. Yum!…and you go girl for making your own crust. Ninety percent of the time I opt for the pre-made grocery store version.

14. Judy says:

That looks great, but 400F sounds high for a custard pie. Oil crusts are easy and they taste great!

15. tigerfish says:

I did not eat any pie or any turkey during Thanksgiving! :O

16. Donna says:

Love it, Erin! It’s always nice to see when we’re all trying to eat healthy, but still WELL! 🙂 GREAT JOB! (as usual:)

17. Christy says:

i have never made a crust with oil…what an interesting way to do it. it looks amazing, so i can only assume it is a great way to do it. i also love that big scoop of whipped cream..be still my heart! thank you for sharing this with tuesday night supper club.

18. This has got to be one of the best looking pumpkin recipes i’ve stumbled accross so far – looks delish, too!