• Uncategorized

Gouda Arugula Grilled Cheese

I recently read that April is Grilled Cheese month. I am not sure if it’s true, and haven’t looked further to see if it is, but I feel the need to get behind Grilled Cheese month by celebrating!

A few weeks ago, we received a LOVELY bunch of arugula in our CSA box, and I’ve been eating it in salads and on sandwiches left and right. Yum.

On a recent trip to Costco, I sampled some fantastic Dutch gouda, and of course, had to have it! What a fantastic cheese. What would I do without the sample ladies at Costco? The only reason to consider braving the crowds on a Saturday.

Meet the marriage of arugula and gouda. The flavors play off of each other wonderfully, with a mellow yet flavorful burst of deliciousness.

I’ve always just used a very thin layer of mayo on the inside of the bread, but recently, K introduced me to a horseradish dijon that adds great flavor to grilled cheese.

Doesn’t that gouda look… “gooda”?? Sorry. Couldn’t resist!

Layer with arugula, and add in a few gouda crumbles to ensure the cheese achieves a great level of goo.

Put the sandwich together, butter the top and flip upside down in a frying pan on medium heat. Butter the other side and wait for a beautiful brown on the bottom before flipping again.

When you’ve achieved the color and goo level you prefer, remove from heat, cut in half and serve. Doesn’t this look tasty?

It was! Lucy the dog was hovering the entire time, hoping for dropped cheese or leftovers. She really could make a career of being cute. Such is the life of a pampered pet — she got a slice of gouda! 😀

I’m pleased to share this recipe with these hops – find more great inspirations there!

MyMeatlessMondays

Hearth and Soul Hop at A Moderate Life
EKat’s Kitchen :. a series of culinary experiments and digressions on life. © 2010-2011

1. Chaya says:

Grilled cheese is the best and gouda is one of my favorite cheeses.

Thanks for linking this up to My Meatless Mondays

2. Melynda says:

Grilled cheese sandwiches are the little black dress of the food world. Some great ideas are being tried, this is one of them. Yum.

That is one fancy-pants grilled cheese! Horseradish dijon sounds great!

4. That looks mouthwatering!

5. Kate says:

Grilled cheese sandwiches from childhood were wonderful…but grown-up grilled cheese…amazing!

6. Miriam says:

I am a grilled cheese fanatic, so naturally I am in love with this! I’ve never thought of arugula in a grilled cheese before! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

7. DROOL WORTHY!!!!!!!!!

8. Martha (MM) says:

Sounds totally yummy!!!

9. Ohhh Erin! I have to tell you that smoked gouda is simply divine melted and with arugula, one of my absolutely favorite foods (yes, even better than chocolate!) this sandwich sounds right up my alley! Thanks so much for sharing it on the hearth and soul hop! Big hugs! alex

10. This sounds wonderful! Haven’t had a grilled cheese in too long. Thanks for linking!

11. Alea Milham says:

Mmmm, this looks wonderful! I love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

12. Miranda says:

That sounds like a fabulous combination!

13. Karen says:

I buy arugula weekly…I’m totally hooked on it. Love the spice and pepperiness. This sandwich is speaking to me…can’t go wrong with grilled cheese. I think it’s time for me to start celebrating Grilled Cheese Month, too!