How to Make Fast Quinoa Macaconi and Cheese

Macaroni and Cheese is, and has always been, one of my favorite dishes. Quinoa macaroni and cheese is a healthy take on this dish.

Quinoa is fast becoming one of my favorite staples – it gives me my carbs and a bit of protein — and it’s GOOD for you! When compared to pasta, nutritionally, quinoa will win every time. Since I’m a self-professed carb addict, quinoa offers a great substitution with an awesome nutty flavor.

I also like meals that are super fast and easy. If you make a big batch of quinoa in advance, this meal is extra fast (like less than 5 minutes), but even if you cook from start to stop, it’s only about 30 minutes (or less).

I tend to make quinoa in big(ger) batches in my rice cooker and then enjoy it in salads, mac & cheese, with salsas, and more.

Quinoa macaroni and cheese. SalmonAtSeven.com

This dish is fabulous because it combines the nutty flavors of quinoa, the savory taste of cheese, and the salty flavor of Bragg’s into a dish that is reminiscent of macaroni and cheese.

Easy Quinoa Macaroniย and Cheese
Recipe Type: Main or Side
Author: Erin @SalmonAtSeven
Prep time: 1 min
Cook time: 1 min
Total time: 2 mins
Serves: 1
Easy to make Quinoa Macaroni & Cheese
Ingredients
  • 1 cup prepared quinoa
  • 1-2 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
  • 2 tbsp grated cheddar
Instructions
  1. Combine ingredients!!! It’s that easy.
Notes

I prepare my quinoa in my rice cooker – 1.5 cups quinoa with 3 cups water or 3 cups chicken broth and keep it in my fridge. If making a fresh batch of quinoa, then add about 25 minutes to the preparation time.

If your quinoa is cold, mix the quinoa and cheese and microwave for 45 seconds. If your quinoa is hot, the cheese will automatically melt.

Delicious, Nutritious, and most importantly, Fast & Easy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sharing this recipe with:

Miz Helenโ€™s Country CottageHearth & Soul Hop

1. dawn says:

I’d never have thought to cook quinoa in my rice cooker. I need to try the mac and cheese. It would be perfect to add to my list of lunch options.

2. Billye Fierner says:

I am super excited to see that you are back to blogging! Your new site looks great and I look forward to hearing about your culinary adventures.

3. Kelly Smith says:

Congrats on your new blog! Thanks for popping over to The Nourishing Home to introduce yourself. Many blessings, Kelly

4. Hi Erin, Your new home is terrific. Love the title and look forward to reading your posts. I’m a big fan of quinoa and how can I resist giving the mac and cheese a try — much healthier with the quinoa than the pasta. I’m not sure about your summer weather in Alaska, but I love making quinoa salads, or eating my leftovers cold. It’s the only leftovers I will eat.

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

5. I tend to stay away from mac & cheese because it’s so rich (and heavy). What a great idea to use quinoa.
    Sam

• Thanks Sam! This is definitely neither rich or heavy, but it also isn’t creamy. Still, the flavor is pretty wonderful and it brings my mac’n’cheese-lovin’ tastebuds to heel! Thanks for coming by!

6. Jane says:

Hi Erin
    Your new site is great! I just recently discovered quinoa and am excited to have a new recipe to try. What is Bragg’s Aminos? This is something new to me..

Glad you stopped by Artfully Graced. Most craft stores carry lollipop sticks, often with the Wilton displays for candy-making,cakes, etc. Of course, you don’t have to use the sticks. I just came across a recipe for mini pumpkin pies…made in a mini-muffin pan. It’s on Pinterest. I have not tried this yet, but i have made mini pies in a muffin pan…it’s easy. I have also made them, using the BOTTOM of mini muffin pans…for the crusts, then filled with pie filling (homemade or canned). Have fun!

• Jane, Thanks for stopping by! Quinoa is such amazing and versatile stuff. I have found so many great uses for it. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos are kind of like soy sauce in flavor, but wholly made up of aminos, and basically a vitamin loaded source of protein. I use it almost exclusively in place of soy sauce unless a recipe calls for a large quantity. (Therefore, you could make this with soy sauce.)
      I will have to play with more of the mini recipes. Thank you!

7. Lisa says:

Your blog looks beautiful…the meals are perfect! This particular recipe is exactly what I would love to try! I will be making this soon. =) I look forward to seeing more recipes!

• Lisa, Thanks so much for stopping by after your amazing 4th of July party! ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you do try – and let me know how it goes! Look forward to sharing more with you.

8. What a fabulous way to serve quinoa! I love it when delicious is healthy too!

It is really great to see you here bringing us your awesome recipes again. I just love your Quinoa Mac N Cheese and can’t wait to give it a try. You are back on my side bar. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

• Thank you so much for stopping by Miz Helen! I have big plans…BIG plans! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks also for putting me up on your sidebar – it means a lot. I look forward to sharing (and share alike!) with you!

10. I love quinoa, so this sounds great to me!

11. I am looking forward to giving this a try. I also make quinoa in large batches, so this would make a fabulous fast and easy lunch for me and the kids.

12. Love the new site, Erin! And I love quinoa, and thanks to you, I will love quinoa and cheese!!!!

13. Congrats Erin – your wonderful recipe, which looks like an awesome health alternative to traditional mac and cheese, and you and your new blog, have been featured at this week’s Inspire Me Monday at

Create With Joy

I look forward to many more fabulous shares from you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thank you so much!! I’m thrilled to have been featured! I’m working on an “as seen on” page, and will be sure to put your button and link to your week 28 post! I’m headed over shortly to link up my latest inspired creation!

14. I have never tried Quinoa in the rice cooker let alone thought to use it in a mac and cheese – you are BRILLIANT! ๐Ÿ™‚ This is a must try!

1. July 17, 2012